Learning the Montessori Way
Chrysalis Montessori Playgroup is where it all begins for the very youngest members of our school community.
“Never help a child with a task at which he feels he can succeed.” – Maria Montessori
Designed for children aged 18 months to 3 years, it provides a calm, secure learning environment, enabling children to become independent, aware of others and ready to enter one of our Children’s Houses. Our playgroup is structured to cater for the period of intense mental activity that Maria Montessori termed the ‘absorbent mind,’ where children learn from their environment naturally and spontaneously.
Parents and children are exposed to the Montessori philosophy of learning in a supported and enjoyable way. Children engage in practical life activities and Montessori ‘jobs,’ as well as craft, singing and outdoor activities. These activities initiate their awareness of social interaction and strengthen their physical abilities. These qualities are vital for the preparation of the conscious mind.
Jobs comprise of:
- specialized Montessori equipment
- practical life activities (eg. pouring, sorting, threading, hammering, cutting, drawing, painting)
- other jobs which promote skills such as counting, concentration, problem-solving, fine motor co-ordination or provide sensory experiences.
Parents are the most influential and important people in the young child’s life and as such, hold much responsibility in what and how the child learns. Our parents work with the Playgroup Coordinator, who supports both the children and their parents by unobtrusively and quietly moving around the room, giving quick little presentations on the ‘jobs’. The presentations are given according to the child’s ability and need and are generally directed by what the child has chosen independently to work on. Parents share the learning and transfer them to their homes.
Each child attends once a week during school terms, with sessions on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 9.30am to 11.30am. Up to 15 children are in each group and are accompanied by a parent or carer.
- A non – refundable $10 application fee
- $17 per session -booked and payable per term (second child is $15.00 per session)
- $35 Playgroup WA annual insurance fee (this only needs to be paid at one playgroup attended and covers you for all playgroups attended during the year).